Monday, March 15, 2010

Cold/Allergies

Orlaith started getting a cold last Wednesday evening. She has a snotty, congested nose. I have been watching her closely, but there has not been any fever. Saturday she started acting oddly when I fed her. When I would try and nurse she would scream bloody murder... to the point that she was inconsolable and actually shed tears. She has never shed a tear before when crying. Oddly enough, she was okay drinking from a bottle, so I would pump and feed her that way. She did this all Saturday afternoon, but by Saturday night she was nursing just fine. Sunday morning she nursed fine, but for the second feeding started screaming again. Then by that afternoon, she was nursing okay again. This morning she started to scream when I began to nurse her, but she did calm down and eat after a few seconds. I initially thought the suck/swallow was hurting her and maybe she was getting an ear infection. Now that she has been going back and forth, I just don't know what to think. Plus, she has to suck and swallow from a bottle. Wouldn't that hurt too? Bottom line is that I know she doesn't feel well, and it bothers me that I can't figure out the whole eating thing. I don't want her to be in pain. If it is an ear infection, I need to know. Has anyone ever experienced anything like this before? If so, advice please!
I started to get allergies on Saturday and am now all snotty and congested too. Could Orlaith have allergies like her mommy and not a cold after all? Either way, something is up!


2 comments:

  1. what comes to mind is a sensitivity to something in your milk that is causing her digestive problems. It would explain her crying when you try to nurse (babies can detect that stuff), but then she's fine with a bottle and the next time you breastfeed (after whatever it was worked its way out of your and her system) but she gets upset again after you eat the same food she's sensitive to. the same thing happened with Marlie around Orlaith's age (in our case it was dairy). Maj's son also went through this around3 or 4 months old.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting. I will keep that in mind. It hasn't happened since Sunday, so I will watch for that if it happens again. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete