Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Poor Sick Baby!

Last Wednesday afternoon, O developed a minor cough. I didn't think anything of it until at 5 in the morning she was awake, screaming and running a temperature. Her nose was also all congested. We went to the doctor and they told us she just had a really bad cold. Her lungs and ears were okay. It has been rough since then. Brian rode in the MS 150 last weekend, so I had a sick baby all by myself. It was so hard to see her so miserable, and there was nothing I could do to make her fill better. I did what I could, lots of saline nose drops and bulb syringes, Tylenol (which I find out now was recalled) and the humidifier. We have had lots of waking up in the middle of the night going on, as well as lots of crying for hours on end. When she does fall asleep, she usually has a coughing attack that wakes her up. She wouldn't go to sleep last night, woke up at 3 and cried for almost 2 hours, and then was awake again at 6:15. This was the first night since she was born that I asked Brian to take her for me. Usually she feeds and we go right back to sleep so it is no big deal. But with the crying marathon AND waking up early, I needed help. I still have not caught up on my missed sleep from this weekend. Tomorrow is my day off. Usually I would get to sleep in a bit and/or take a nap with O, but Brian is having surgery in the morning. We all need to be up and out of the house pretty early. I might get a nap tomorrow afternoon, but I am not getting my hopes up. This is the most sleep deprived I have been since she was born. She has always been an easy baby and a great sleeper. Plus in the beginning I didn't have to worry about work the next day. I am hoping that she feels better soon, for her sake and mine.

On another note, we started using cloth diapers last Thursday. Things have been going really well. We are using pre-folds during the day and pocket diapers with a super absorbent insert at night. The second diaper I put on her, she put to the test. I had changed her and within 10 minutes she decided to take care of some serious business! I was just looking at her, hoping that I had put the diaper on correctly... That it was in place well enough to hold everything in. I was scared to find out, but it had to be done. So, I changed her. Much to my surprise, everything had been contained! Whew. Disaster averted. I am pretty sure that this "business" would have caused a blow out if she had been wearing a disposable. All in all I am really happy with our switch to cloth. I have even done a load of diapers already and they turned out just fine... nice and clean! I am happy that she has soft, natural material against her delicate skin and I am happy that we are not filling landfills with diapers that will sit there silently refusing to decompose. It is a win-win!

1 comment:

  1. I hope Orlaith is feeling better and you get some sleep today. I wish Brian well with his surgery. Glad the CD is working out!