Friday, June 5, 2009

The Birthing Center Experience

Brandy: Wednesday was our first appointment at the birthing center. In case you did not know, we are going natural and it was a very well researched decision. I need a lot of support and happy, empowering thoughts for this process. While I welcome happy thoughts, I do not welcome any negative, doubtful thoughts or the "Are you crazy?" looks. Brian and I are very happy and content with our decision. We feel we are in the safest possible place to deliver our baby in the manner that we desire. So if you have happy thoughts, bring them on! So back to the appointment... I was excited and nervous at the same time! When we arrived, I had to go through some normal paperwork. Then I was taken to the bathroom and shown the routine for appointments. I get to weigh myself and test my own urine for glucose and protein. After that, we met with Carol. She went through a whole list of things to expect. After all the talking we got to get to the exciting part... hearing the baby's heartbeat! It took a while for Carol to locate the sound we were waiting to hear, but once she did... WOW! I love that sound so much! The heartbeat was 163 beats per minute! The baby was being a bit shy and only let us listen in about 10 seconds before turning it's back and saying "enough". I guess we will take what we can get! We go back again July 10th. My mom will be in town, and is going to accompany me so she can see the birthing center. We are interviewing doulas this week, and I am excited about that process. All is well! I have been getting my energy back slowly over the past week and a half. I am feeling pretty darn good! We picked out the nursery furniture and hopefully will order it soon. I am in total planning mode and I want to get as much done as possible over the next couple of months... before the exhaustion comes back as everyone has warned.


0 comments:

Post a Comment