Friday, October 2, 2009

Bradley Classes

Brandy: Last night was our first Bradley class. We are going every Thursday night from 7 - 9:30 for 8 weeks. It was really fun. There are 8 couples in the class, and not one of them is delivering in a hospital. It is really nice to be in an environment where people understand our birthing choices. I don't pass judgement on the way that any of my friends or family chose to birth their children, so it is a little hurtful when people decide to pass judgement on me. I really don't know what they think it will solve. Maybe they think they are helping by expressing their opinions, but I do not think people realize how the things they say come across. That being said, I am very happy with our decision to birth Baby Markey outside of a hospital. Just a few facts for you... the cesarean rate in the US is a whopping 30% (give or take a little - it depends on where you look). This percentage is double the 15% recommended by the World Health Organization. The fun fact is that only 1 % of performed c-sections are considered a medical emergency. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of c-sections that are medically necessary. The point is that only a very small percentage (1% of the 30% of sections) are a true emergency. You do the math... Having a baby out of a hospital is not as dangerous as everyone assumes. Think of all of the diseases and germs in a hospital. How many times have you heard of someone getting an unrelated infection after being in a hospital? It happens quite a bit. We are conditioned as a society to rely on doctor's and modern medicine. How many times has our relied-on medical society had to retract certain practices, procedures or medicine because of negative results? What did women do before there was an OB on every corner? They had babies outside of hospitals, and their bodies did what they were supposed to do. They did not always have a hospital to turn to if something did not go smoothly, but I DO have that option. My midwife is absolutely wonderful. She will be monitoring me very closely. If there is any sign of something wrong with me or the baby, she will advise me to go to the hospital. And guess what??? I will go, very willingly... I am not so stuck on the idea of staying out of the hospital that I would even remotely jeopardize the health of my baby or myself. So to all of you who passed judgement on our birthing decision, even if you kept it to yourself, do you think there is any possibility that you are being closed-minded? Just some food for thought...
On to other things, I really cannot believe that October is already upon us and that we started our birthing classes already. Seriously, as of this upcoming Monday, I only have 10 weeks left! Time is flying by. I feel like there is so much more to do. I think once I get the nursery put together I will feel a little more at ease. I also need to wash everything and get it organized and put away. I am waiting to do all of the laundry until we have our second shower on the 10th.
We have someone coming by the house tomorrow morning at 11 to give us a quote to paint the nursery. Brian and I have tried to paint ourselves in the past, and the outcome is not pretty. Trust me, this way is much better for our well being... not to mention the quality of the job! As soon as I get the nursery together, I will make sure to post pictures. The end is nearing!


1 comment:

  1. I had a pretty horrendous time having my son in a hospital. I was going to explain more but on second thoughts. . . don't think you need that right now:) Go with what you think is right in terms of birthing and yes, the power of words are huge and people do give opinions before even waiting to be invited to do so.

    One thing though, grab as much sleep now as you can. Store up your sleep banks cos in just a few weeks time you'll be wondering what a good nights sleep really is!!!!

    Back soon!

    ReplyDelete